UN Water Conference: "Overcoming Obstacles for Reflexive Research Practice in Water Governance" NEWAVE virtual side-event
Join us for the ESR-led UN Water Conference virtual side-event titled "Overcoming Obstacles for Reflexive Research Practice in Water Governance". The session will take place on Friday 24 March, 2023 14:00-15:00 CET.
Please note, this event is bilingual and will be held in both English and Spanish.
The water governance science-policy interface lacks reflexivity and consideration for critical perspectives. Simultaneously, the world is on track to miss several water-related goals outlined in the 2030 Agenda for Sustainable Development. Based on experiences of 15 NEWAVE Early-Stage Researchers, covering 15 unique research projects on water governance, challenges and opportunities for reflexivity in water governance are discussed.
In conversation with each other and the wider NEWAVE network, the ESRs have identified several impediments that are slowing progress towards equitable, just, and sustainable governance of complex water problems. These are framed as a limited reflexivity in both academic and policy arenas on who is doing water governance, how it is being done, and for what purpose.
See the event concept note here. You can download the infographic here.
- Siddharth Agarwal, Founder of Veditum India Foundation
- Neil Dhot, Executive Director at AquaFed
- Ricardo Camilo Niño Izquierdo, Technical Secretary at Comisión Nacional de Territorios Indígenas
- Sarah Van Borek, Postdoctoral Fellow at University of Toronto
Program (in New York time)
|09:00 - 09:05||Welcome and NEWAVE Network introduction|
|09:05 - 09:15||ESRs presentation of the policy brief|
|09:15 - 09:45||Question for panelists and discussion|
|09:45 - 10:00||Q&A with the audience|
This event is curated, organized, and led by a team of NEWAVE ESRs:
- ESR 3 Sinafekesh Girma Wolde (Politecnico di Milano) | Water and Migration
- ESR 4 Radhika Singh (University of Nairobi) | Drought Mitigation
- ESR 7 Paula Zuluaga Guerra (Fundación Nueva Cultura del Agua) | Knowledge co-production
- ESR 8 Hannah Porada (Universiteit van Amsterdam) | Water and Mining
- ESR 10 Dona Geagea (Vrije Universiteit Amsterdam) | Re-commoning
- ESR 12 Gina Gilson (University of Oxford) | Informal Markets
Make sure to register and join this session to learn more about the role of reflexivity in water governance. Click here to register.